Monday, September 28, 2009

28th September 2009 - Teaching and Loving It

Is it beginning to look a little like Fall in the northern hemisphere? Here we are definitely experiencing a change of seasons, and it seems to be happening right at the time when seasons are supposed to change. It’s becoming warmer, and the sun seems to be even stronger than usual. We still have cool nights, and that’s always nice for sleeping. The wind continues to blow, and in the mornings we see folks going to their fields to begin preparing them for planting when the rains do come.

One week into my English classes and I’m enjoying them very much. I have a good-sized class of 45, almost an equal mix of boys and girls. I suppose about ⅓ of the class are resident at the Village of Hope, and the rest are from the neighborhood. Those who have finished primary school (9) don’t wear their uniforms, but the rest do, and so it’s impossible to tell who live with their families and who are orphans. I also need to find out more about how being HIV+ affects the health of these youngsters because I’ve noticed that sometimes a child will be very responsive and alert one day and the next day he/she may be looking/acting like there’s something wrong. Anyway, they are generally very attentive and appear interested in what we’re doing. Of course, as with all classes, there is a good range of aptitude/past learning, so some are definitely better in English than others. So far we’re doing fine together, and I expect that we’ll continue to have a good time with some serious learning going on as well.

I was happy for the weekend, not that the teaching is strenuous, but the walk to and from is tiring. I leave the house at about 7.45 a.m., walk 45 minutes, have a bit of time to brush the dust off my shoes and remind myself of my lesson, and start class at 8.40. Class lasts until 10.00 and then I go to the road and wait for a small bus to take me a bit down the road, only about a five minute ride. From the place I get off then there’s another 20 minute walk home. I enjoy the morning walk because it’s still quite cool and the sun hasn’t become too intense yet. The return is a little more difficult because of the sun, and the wind at that time is stronger, too. I’m beginning to reconcile myself to the fact that I’m not as young as I once was (: and hence the tired feeling by the time I return.

We had our first overnight guests this past week, and so that was very nice. Sr. Janet from Morogoro came with a Tanzanian Sister on their way to Mwanza, and Connie went off with them the next morning. And so I’m alone for two weeks as Connie visits her old mission and renews friendships of years ago. I don’t mind being alone but during the weekend the days got a little long. It’s a good opportunity for some solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment