Sunday, December 22, 2013

Merry Christmas!


                   This week is Christmas and such a special time of the year.  I was in town last
week and there are signs that Christmas is coming, besides the CD’s of Jim Reeves singing “Silent Night”.  Some shops are decorated and the bank has a very nice Christmas tree, artificial of course, but it looks nice.  There also seemed to be a lot of people on the streets so maybe they were Christmas shopping.  Some little kids I’m pretty sure were getting measured for new shoes so they’ll be all spiffed up for Christmas.


I needed to renew the car’s registration as well as renewing my driver’s license so that was my main job in town.  I was treated very well while doing both tasks, a reminder again of how it pays to be an elder in this society.  Another interesting reminder of different cultures was when I was standing in line at the bank.  It was a long line and a long stand, and I stood at a distance which was comfortable for me behind the person in front of me.  The woman in back of me was probably at a distance comfortable for her as well, but it was really close for my comfort zone.  It’s like in church when there really is no more room in a pew but another person comes and manages to sit.  Amazing …. 

The other day while out doing my early morning walk, I met a woman who was coming in from the outskirts of town with some vegetables to sell.  We had met before but this day we stopped to talk.  She asked me if I was Chinese (!) and I guess that’s because many other strangers around are Chinese since they are building the university as well as some roads in the area.  After we got through that bit of the conversation, she asked what I was doing in that area.  She knows where we live but I was a bit far from the house so she was wondering where I was going.  I told her that I was just doing exercise.  That surprised her, and finally she said, “Well, as I see it, you’re already old so I don’t know why you would be doing exercise!”  What to say to that?  I admitted that I am old but that exercise could be helping me stay healthy.  She just kind of shook her head and off she went.  I can imagine that she would love to be able to not walk miles in order to make a little money …..

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment