Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Kwa-heri (good-bye)

I’ve been very, very inconsistent (aka "absent")  in contributing to this blog, and now I think the time has come to, if not close it, to at least change its focus.  And while MISSION is still my way of life, the locus has changed.  Since March I’ve left Tanzania, after 47 years, and now am living mission in the USA at the Maryknoll Center in New York.  And so certainly that’s a change, but change is growth-producing and positive (usually) so I’m looking forward to what is ahead.
 
Sufficient for today is a reflection from my final days in Tanzania:

GOOD-BYE THOUGHTS
Another good-bye today.
These good-byes come with nice words and loving eyes,
And sometimes a few tears.
Words to express care and thanks,
Words remembering connections,
Or simply “Lakini tumekuzoea”.
Another sentiment: “Tutakumisi”, and I can only think of those                                                       
People and places which I will miss:
A little girl coming to the door with a fistful of popcorn to share,
Children running to meet me when I arrive home.
Neighbors’ greetings and the ever-present “Karibu”.
Dawn hued meetings with others on their morning runs,
Children on their way to school as the sun comes up.
Innocent little ones touching stockinged legs and freckled arms,
Trying out something which is to them new in this world.
Family names – momy, mama, shangazi, auntie. bibi, grandmother
All mine, all ours.
Birds, dogs, pigs, cows, chickens, goats.
I gave away all my potted plants and returned home to empty spaces
Where my eyes were used to green friends,
And I had to catch my breath with the realization of what was happening.
But just as the plants will keep on growing with someone else’s care,
So will the people and the country grow with others’ care.
The young will build as they are meant to build,
The old will work hard and cement the building.
Politics and religion, the weather and crops, football
Will be talked about in loud discussions.
And my memories will be tucked in my heart
To be opened daily with gratitude.

I “won’t cry because it’s over but will smile because it happened.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sr. Darlene,
    I hope you have been well. I am Lusekelo J Nkuwi, you might not remember me, but I grew up in Murigha, both of my parents were teaching there. I just want to say thank you and congratulations on the good work you have been doing to a lot of people. May God bless you. I am currently in the US, but I was in Murigha this past summer when I went back home. The people miss you there. Once again, thank you so much for providing opportunities to a lot of Tanzanians, especially the women.

    ReplyDelete